Historical background

First Ukrainian telegraph and telephone workshops were organized by People’s commissariat for posts and telegraphs of USSR in October 1920 in Kharkov 6 Kooperativnaya Street. Special telegraph and telephone equipment was repaired in the workshops. In 1923 the workshops were united in manufacturing workshop produced radio boosters. Afterwards the manufacturing workshop produced radios.

In 1934 the works #14 was founded on the basis of the workshops. The major products of the works were commutators (switching devices) of various capacity and telegraph equipment for military defense needs.

In 1941 the Great Patriotic War had begun, the works was evacuated to st. Chernushki, Perm region where it produced special equipment.

In 1944 a part of the evacuated works was returned to Kharkov and on its basis the works #2 of the State Union project and assembling group #5 of People’s Commissariat for Communication of USSR was founded according to the decree #3-6 of People’s Commissariat for Communication of USSR as of 2 January 1944.

The works #2 produced standard equipment and wiring accessory for assembly work of the group and special communication equipment.

Following the reorganization of People’s Commissariat for Communication of USSR in March 1946 Union project and assembling group #5 and works #2 were subjected to the Ministry of Power Plants and Electrotechnical Industry of USSR and in 1954 according to the resolution of the Council of Ministries of USSR as of 13 February 1954 the works was reorganized into the State Union Kharkov telephones and commutators works.

In 1953 on the grounds of resolution of the Council of Ministries of USSR as of 27 March 1953 Kharkov telephones and commutators works became a part of the Ministry of Power Plants and Electrotechnical Industry of USSR, in 1954 according to the resolution of the Council of Ministries of USSR as of 26 January 1954 the works became a part of the established Ministry of Radio Engineering Industry of USSR.

Following the industrial management reorganization, according to the resolution #556 of the Council of Ministries of USSR as of 26 May 1956, State Union Kharkov telephones and commutators works was subjected to the established Council of National Economy of Kharkov Economic Administrative District. The major products were: commutators  ПК-30, automatic telephone exchange АТС-ВРС for 20 numbers, semiautomatic communications units полуавтоматические установки связи УПТС, telephone relay РПН and  particular purposes relays.

In 1958 according to the resolution # 70 of the Council of National Economy of Kharkov Economic Administrative District as of 26 May 1958, Kharkov telephones and commutators works was reorganized into Kharkov Relay works. Thenceforth Kharkov Relay works began to produce only electromagnetic relays for special equipment.
  According to the Resolution # 126-47 of the CPSU Central Committee and the Council of Ministriesof the USSR as of 2 March1965 the works was subjected to the newly formed Ministry of Radio Engineering Industry of USSR.

In 1970 Kharkov Relay works was merged into Production and technical association “Iug” according to the resolution #166 of the Ministry of Radio Engineering Industry of USSR as of 9 April. Production and technical association “Iug” consisted of:

  • Kharkov Relay works – main enterprise
  • Special design-engineering bureau of relay equipment
  • Antratsit  relay works
  • Krasnoluch engineering works
  • Belgorod works “Elektrokontakt”
  • Branch establishment of the main enterprise in village Bratenitsa, Kharkov region
  • Krasnodon relay works

The main aims of the association were:

  • To develop  new up to date relay equipment
  • To make scientific researches in the field of relay equipment
  • To develop and produce modern operation automation and mechanical equipment
  • To develop and produce innovative equipment and apparatus
  • To develop special electric-measuring instruments and     computer-aided testing devices
  • To produce relay equipment

According to the order #269 of the Minister of radio engineering of USSR as of 1 June 1970 the association was titled “Radiorele”.

According to the order #273 of the Ministry of radio engineering of USSR as of 17April 1974 the association was subjected to the Ministry for Industry and Communication of USSR. According to the order #269 of the Minister of Industry and Communication of USSR as of 12 December 1974 Kharkov Production and technical association “Radiorele” was renamed as Kharkov production association “Radiorele”.

After association had been established, Krasnodon relay works and Belgorod works “Elektrokontakt” withdrew from the association according to the follow-up decisions of the Ministry.

According to the order #61/ДСП of the Minister of Industry and Communication of USSR as of 25 January 1978 Special design-engineering bureau of relay equipment withdrew from the association of the Kharkov relay works and reorganized into Kharkov central design-engineering bureau for relay engineering specialized in developing of  new techniques and means of operation automation and mechanization, and was integrated into Kharkov production association “Radiorele”as a production unit. 

Beginning from 1 January 1981 Antratsit relay works and Krasnoluch engineering works withdrew from our association according to the order #554 ДСП of the Minister as of 18 December 1980. The above mentioned works were merged into Antratsit production association “Titan”.

The State enterprise Kharkov relay works “Radiorele” became a cessionary of Kharkov production association “Radiorele” according to the order #10/4-1-1563 of the Minister of Industry of Ukraine as of 02.09.2002.

The State enterprise Kharkov relay works was renamed as Kharkov relay works according to the order #507 of the Minister of Industry of Ukraine as of 26.11.2002.
Kharkov relay works “Raiorele” was merged into State Enterprise “Works “Radiolere” according to the order #218 of the State Secretary of Ministry of Industry of Ukraine as of 03.06.2003

During its activity the State Enterprise “Works “Radiolere” enlarged overall production and boosted sales of the following types of relays: РПА 16, РЭВ 14, РЭВ 15, РЭВ 16, РЭВ 17; began to produce relays РЭН 34, which were formerly produced by the closed down works JSC “Ierevan relay works” (production of devices of four product’s passports were mastered).